What is a Dormer loft conversion?
Are you thinking about increasing the size of your property? If so, then you may be wondering what is a dormer loft conversion is.
Dormer loft conversions are a popular method of extending the property using the existing roof space. In order to extend the space of your existing loft, something called a dormer window is installed. Dormer windows extend outwards from your existing roof, essentially creating additional fully usable space. All walls on the inside of this space will be above head height.
Below are the advantages and disadvantages of dormer loft conversions.
Advantages of Dormer Loft Conversions
- Is a cost effective method to maximise space.
- Creates only useable space, meaning ceilings are high enough all round to effectively place furniture and walk in.
- Dormers can be added to any side of a house. However, planning permission is needed for the rear of a house.
Disadvantages of Dormer Conversion
- If a home has had a dormer conversion, it is usually obvious. This is becuase dormers extend from the existing roof, sometimes having an unnatural appearance.
Types of Dormer
- Single Dormers are most suited to houses with limited space.
- Full width Dormers ensure maximum space is achieved by using the full width of the property.
- Side Dormers are often used to increase head height for houses with a hipped roof, where access to the loft is located under that hip.
- L-Shape Dormers are reconmneded for certain properties such as Victorian ones. An L-Shape Dormer creates a signifcant amount of additional space.
- Hip to Gable Dormers are constructed using one or more hips being replaced with a gable wall. This is where the roof slopes in from the sides. as well as the front and back). The roof is then extended over these gables to add extra space with full headroom.
Popular Dormer Loft Conversion Rooms
The additional space that dormer loft conversions provide is normally used for extra bedrooms, a bathroom, or both. Other rooms may include a study or nursery. If you have the space it is usally a good idea to consider adding an en-suite or separate dressing room attached to a master bedroom.
Visit our DIY Blog for Step by Step Guides
Sign Up to Receive the Latest DIY Guide Articles FREE via Email